Friday, September 14, 2012

In my kitchen - Spatula

Spatula
The term spatula is used to refer to various small implements with a broad, flat, flexible blade used to mix, spread and lift materials including foods, drugs, plaster and paints. (Extracted from Wikipedia)

Size of spatula - compared to a soup spoon

Most of us have at least one spatula at home. I have three. Why three? Well, I got a cheap one for baking, an expensive one for cooking and a mini one for "scraping".

Daiso Spatula
My cheapo spatula cost $1.50 from Daiso. It's my favourite. It's cheap, easy to use and right size for me. I use it for most of my baking from scraping down my mixing bowl, folding in baking mix to filling up molds. My previous trusty spatula served me well until I melted it when trying to stir a boiling mixture over the stove. Lesson learnt - not to be used for anything hot. I think the max. temperature is 200F. Well, lucky for me, it's so cheap that I always buy an extra one to keep.

Rubbermaid Spatula
With the Daiso one melting way, I need to get one for cooking - at least one that can withstand temperature higher than 200F. After checking reviews from American Test Kitchen, I bought a Rubbermaid silicone spatula. At a price of US$11, this spatula has the power to withstand heat up to 600F. However, this spatula is bigger and longer than my Daiso one. I find myself having a more difficult time manoeuvring the Rubbermaid and only use it for cooking or hot mixture.

Tovolo Mini Spatula

Lastly, I got a pair of mini silicone spatula from Tovolo on an impulse for US$4. It's so small - size of a teaspoon that it can hardly do anything with it. I only used it to scrape any leftover on my stand mixer whisk or paddle. It is soft and small, thus, able to reach those small gaps between the whisk and paddle. Thus, I would not recommend getting this.

On the overall, if I could get only one spatula, I would get the rubbermaid one as that can be used for both cooking and baking. Now I need to head to Daiso to get a spare spatula. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment