Thursday, September 6, 2012

In my kitchen - Silicone Tongs

Tovolo Silicone Tongs

I love to use tongs for cooking. I'm not exactly the most "nimble" person in the kitchen. In fact, I need my husband's help to flip a pancake. ;p

With tongs, I can easily flip any meat, "gently" place food into the pan for cooking and move around any hot food . It's like having super heat resistant hands! Praise the guy who invented tongs.

Having non-stick pans, it's only natural that I buy tongs that are safe for them. Normally, they are made of nylon or silicone. The most commonly found ones are made of nylon. However, I find nylon cookware normally melt under extreme heat or they "stripped" over time. I don't appreciate having nylon "threads" in my food so I convert to silicone cookware.
Silicone feet

Recently, I bought a pair of Tovolo silicone tongs from Amazon.The tongs come with a little silicone rest on the side which allows the tongs to rest easily on the counter top.

Silicone tip
The tips are also heat resistant. I left them in a pan of hot oil and they survived. They are also hard and does not bend easily resulting in a good grasp on the food.

Tong Lock
There is a lock at the top which allows for easy locking and unlocking of the tongs. When unlock, the tongs open up to 9-inches.

One downside for this tongs is that it's missing non-slip grip on the side. I am ok without the non-slip padding on the slip and didn't have my tongs flying off my hands during cooking. However, I think this would be a good option to have.

On the overall, for less than $10, the Tovolo tongs is a good buy. I may try the progressive ones next time which cost about $15.


No comments:

Post a Comment